Students & Families
While schools are often seen as the source of interventions around attendance, families and students are able to make the most immediate impact on attendance habits. The members of the Baltimore Attendance Collaborative aim to empower the families and students that our schools and organizations serve, helping them understand why attendance is so critical and what they can do at home to support their child’s ability to come to school every day ready to learn.
Many of the resources and tools below have been graciously shared by school staff across Baltimore City, and they include:
- Videos highlighting successful attendance campaigns and actions
- Informational documents and flyers to help inform families of why daily attendance is so important
Questions about these resources and tools can be directed to the contributors themselves, as they are all credited to the Baltimore City Public School that submitted them or the originating organization’s website.
We will continue to update this page as we learn of new tools, resources, and strategies that are working for students and families in Baltimore.
Flyers/Information for Parents
- Attendance Flyer for Kindergarten (Patterson Park Public Charter School) – This flyer (in both English and Spanish) focuses on parents of students in Kindergarten and discusses how attendance affects future outcomes for students.
- Attendance Matters Infographic – This infographic shares key statistics about chronic absenteeism, what students miss when they are absent from school, and what steps parents can take to improve their children’s attendance.
- “Every Night” Checklist – This check list provides parents with a set of routines that they can establish with their children at home to ensure on time, daily attendance at school
- Lakeland Attendance Flyer (Lakeland Elementary/Middle) – This flyer (in both English and Spanish) shares key attendance facts for parents, including the great things that happen at school and how many absences equal chronic absenteeism.
- Liberty Attendance Knowledge Campaign (Liberty Elementary) – This set of flyers/posters shares startling statistics about the implications of missing significant amounts of school, to help parents understand why good attendance is important.
- My Child’s Attendance Calendar (It All Adds Up To Five) – This tool is meant for families to use at home to track their child’s school absences.
- Bringing Attendance Home: Parent Video (Attendance Works) – This video for parents highlights the importance of coming to school every day and features parents, students, and staff from two Baltimore City schools: Liberty Elementary and Tench Tilghman Elementary.